VU Data Warehousing (CS614) Assignment # 2 2013
Data warehousing (CS614)
Assignment # 2
Total marks = 20
Deadline Date = 07-May-2013
Please carefully read the following instructions before attempting the assignment.
Rules for Marking
It should be clear that your assignment would not get any credit if:
- The assignment is submitted after due date.
- The submitted assignment does not open or file is corrupt.
- The assignment is copied. Note that strict action would be taken if the submitted assignment is copied from any other student. Both students will be punished severely.
1) You should consult recommended books to clarify your concepts as handouts are not sufficient.
2) You are supposed to submit your assignment in .doc format. Any other formats like scan images, PDF, Zip, rar, bmp, docx etc will not be accepted
3) You are advised to upload your assignment at least two days before Due date.
4) This assignment file comprises of Two (2) pages.
Assignment comprises of 20 Marks. Note that no assignment will be accepted after due date via email in any case (whether it is the case of load shedding or emergency electric failure or internet malfunctioning etc.). Hence, refrain from uploading assignment in the last hour of the deadline, and try to upload Solutions at least 02 days before the deadline to avoid inconvenience later on.
For any query please contact: CS614@vu.edu.pk
Please refer to the same case study as in your previous Assignment No1.
Question: [Marks 20]
In Task no. 3 of Assignment no. 1, you denormalized all one-to-one and many-to-many relationships; in this assignment you will denormalize all one-to-many relationships by taking into account the same Air Ticket reservation system, in order to optimize it further.
So, de-normalize all one-to-many relationships (left after Task no. 3 in assignment no. 1) using Pre-joining technique.
The pre-joined tables should:
- Contain no redundant columns (matching join criteria columns)
- Contain only those columns absolutely necessary for the application to meet its processing needs
You need to show the database resulted from the previous assignment (after denormalization) and the resultant database after performing pre-join denormalization in this assignment.