Islamic Development Bank Announced DB Scholarship Programme for Muslim Communities in Non-Member Countries (SPMC)
IDB Scholarship Programme for Muslim Communities in Non-Member Countries (SPMC)
2.Objective and Scope
The objective of the Programme is to improve the socio-economic conditions and to preserve the cultural and religious identities of Muslim Communities in Non-member Countries through developing their human capital resources.
The concept of the Programme is to build a team of professional and committed Muslims as a tool for the improvement of the socio-economic conditions of their communities. Under this Programme, the scholarships are given as interest-free loan to the students but grants to the communities to which they belong. After graduation and gainful employment, all graduates are obliged to repay their loan amount to the community (IDB Local Trusts) for recycling and awarding additional scholarships to the local needy students.
To be eligible for this scholarship, the student/applicant must be able to meet the following basic criteria:
- Age not over 24 years.
- Completed senior secondary / pre-university education with good grades in major science subjects and language of instruction.
- Secured admission in one of the disciplines covered under the Programme at a recognized college or university in their own countries (for in-country study).
- Not in receipt of any other scholarship.
- Committed and needy Muslim.
- Recommended by the Counterpart Organization.
5.Fields of study
- Other fields related to above disciplines
6.Place of study
Consistent with the concept of the Programme, students must get admission or be in the first year in their own countries.
On exceptional basis and where admissions in professional courses are not possible or not available in any particular country, the IDB assists to place students from these countries in IDB member countries, which have been generous enough to provide places for the IDB students in their universities.
The Programme is announced through the Counterpart Organizations in beneficiary countries and follows a 12-month cycle of academic and logistic activities every year. The schedule is drawn on the basis of academic calendars of universities and institutions where IDB students will study. The timetable is as follows:
|June- December:||Deadline for submission of applications to the IDBÂ (for in-country studies)|
|May-July:||Deadline for submission to the IDB (for abroad studies)|
9.How to apply
In countries, where the Programme is being implemented, inquiries can be made and application form obtained from Counterpart Organization in the country.
Each year, the Programme follows the following selection procedures:
- The Counterpart Organization announces the Programme in the country and invites applications from potential candidates who fulfill the criteria of the Programme.
- The Scholarship Selection Committee (SSC) conducts the interviews of eligible candidates and recommends them through the Counterpart Organization to the IDB.
- The IDB makes the final selection and informs the Counterpart Organizations.
11.Obligations of the partners
i.Counterpart Organization (CPO)
- Signs the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the IDB.
- Carries-out all responsibilities/tasks requested by the IDB.
- Submits activities reports to the IDB.
ii.IDB Education Trust (IET)
- Maintains the graduates’ financial and non-financial records.
- Recovers and recycles the repayments by graduates.
- Submits activities reports to the IDB.
iii.Honorary Studentsâ€™ Counsellor (HSC)
- Supports the students, the Counterpart Organization, the IDB Education Trust and the IDB Graduates’ Associations.
- Implements the Guidance and Counselling and Post-Study Activities.
- Submits the activities reports to the IDB (and CPO if applicable).
iv.IDB Graduates’ Association (IGA)
- Mobilizes and organizes the graduates under the IDB Graduates’ Association.
- Undertakes Community Service Activities.
- Submits activities reports to the HSC/CPO and IDB.
- Sign the Surety Bond giving commitment to studies, and to participate in Community Development Programme (CDP).
- Study full-time without interruption and provide the IDB with periodic official academic reports.
- Respect the laws of the country of study and maintain good personal and professional conduct consistent with the overall mission of the IDB.
- After graduation, report and join IDB Graduate Association and participate in their community service activities and after a gainful employment, start repayment of the loan to the local IDB Education Trust.
12.Community Development Support
To help students prepare themselves for their future leading role in the development of their communities and countries, the IDB also provides them with extra-curricular activities under a special programme called Community Development Programmecomprising the following three components:
- Guidance and Counselling Activities (GCA): It involves regular learning and personal development activities throughout the year through which the IDB develops the mind and character of the young Muslim professionals to dedicate themselves to serve their communities and countries.
- Post Study Activities (PSA): Since the graduates are the keys to the delivery of the IDB’s objectives of socio-economic development of Muslim Communities, the IDB supports them with a range of activities including formation of the IDB Graduates’ Associations and the IDB Education Trusts and monitoring their services to the community.
- Capacity Building Activities (CBA): In order to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the partners (covering both Scholarship and Special Assistance Divisions) on the ground, the IDB also provides technical, financial and training support under CBA. Besides, the graduates are also eligible to participate in regional Community Development Workshops that are held in different countries as part of the Capacity Building Activities for partners of the IDB Special Assistance and Scholarship Programmes.
The day-to-day implementation of the Programme is undertaken by the IDB Scholarship Division under the guidance and supervision of the IDB Management