Otsuka Toshimi Scholarship Foundation Japan Offers New Scholarships
Otsuka Toshimi Scholarship Foundation Japan offers New Scholarships
Scholarship Program Overview （Personal Application)
1) Amount of scholarship
Annual sum of \2.0 million, \1.5 million or \1.0 million
(Amount of scholarship will be determined according to the assessment by the selection committee.)
Annual sum of \500,000 for applicants receiving scholarships or benefits from other sources
Note: Scholarship recipient’s failure to make satisfactory academic progress or engagement in unethical or immoral behavior as a student, as well as violation of laws or regulations, may result in reduction or withdrawal of scholarship.
2) Period covered by scholarship
One year: April to March
However, recipients are eligible to apply to renew their scholarship for up to two additional terms, for a total scholarship period of three years.
3) Applicant categories
- New applicants: Applicants who have not previously received scholarships from the Foundation
- Renewing applicants: Applicants who received a scholarship from the Foundation for the previous fiscal year
4) Grounds for withdrawal of scholarship support
(1) The scholarship recipient withdraws from the school.
(2) The recipient takes leave of absence from the school or is absent for an extended period.
(3) The recipient fails to advance toward his or her degree or is at risk of failing to meet graduation requirements.
(4) The recipient is not expected to graduate due to injury or illness.
(5) The recipient fails to make satisfactory academic progress or engages in unethical behavior.
(6) Circumstances render the scholarship unnecessary.
(7) Circumstances other than the above arise that disqualify the recipient.
(8) The recipient is expelled from school for disciplinary reasons.
(9) The recipient otherwise ceases to meet scholarship criteria.
(1) Applicants must be citizens of a country in Asia, the Middle East, Africa or citizens of Brazil, Russia, or the Czech Republic.
(2) Applicants must be majoring in medicine, pharmacology, nutrition, physical education or business administration in an official degree
program at a university or graduate school in Japan.
(3) Applicants must be highly motivated, possess an outstanding academic record, and demonstrate personal integrity.
(4) Applicants must be involved in creative or innovative research.
(5) Applicants must have an international perspective and demonstrate potential leadership skills to serve as bridges between Japan
and their home countries in the future.
(6) Applicants must meet all other requirements stipulated by the Foundation.
1) How to Apply
- Applicants should complete the scholarship application form and mail it to the Foundation, along with the following application documents and supporting documents.【Address】
Otsuka Toshimi Scholarship Foundation Office
Otsuka Group Osaka Headquarters Building
3-2-27 Otedori, Chuo-ku, Osaka
All materials supplied by the applicant will be used solely for the purposes of carrying out our activities.
* Application forms and supporting documents will not be returned.
- All submitted documents except the letter of recommendation must be hand-written in Japanese by the applicant.
* Application forms completed in English will be accepted but must be accompanied by a Japanese translation. For more information, please refer to Application FAQ.
Downloadable Application Form (Reference Form and Letter of Recommendation included)
※You can download the application form here.
2014 Forms for New Applicants: PDF format (approx. 440 kb)
2014 Forms for Renewing Applicants: PDF format (approx. 420 kb)
2) Application Materials
- Application form (form provided by the Foundation)
- Personal reference (which means personal information included with the application form)
- Letter of recommendation (included with the application form)
- One color photo (The photo should be 4.5 x 3.5 cm and show the applicant facing forward from the waist up. It should be no older than six months. Attach the photo to the application form.)
3) Supporting Documents
- Student registration certificate (issued on or after April 1, 2014)
- Academic transcript (The transcript must include courses, credits, grades, evaluations, and explanations. Pass/fail records alone are not acceptable. Send a transcript current as of the most recent year for which level evaluations or grade evaluations were made.
- Certificate of resident (Issued on or after April 1, 2014. A copy of the certificate is not accepted. If basic information is omitted, the certificate will be rejected. A copy of the alien registration card and certificate of foreign resident registration are also invalid.)
- Other scholarships (yes or no; if received for the period from April 2014 to March 2015, send copies indicating the scholarship provider, period, scholarship amount, and other specifics.)
4) Application Period
The application period for fiscal 2014 is from Tuesday, April 1, to Thursday, May 15, 2014, inclusive. (Applications must be received by the Foundation within this period.)
Screening Process, Selection, and Disbursement
1) Screening Process
The screening process involves reviewing the applications and interviewing candidates who pass the initial screening.
The Foundation will not contact applicants who fail the initial screening. Recipients will be chosen by the selection committee, with decisions finalized by the Representative Director.
The interview portion of the process is generally carried out from late June to early July.
Scholarship recipients will be selected in mid-July and notified by the end of July.
Attendance at the certification ceremony and submission of the Letter of Agreement are compulsory for official certification as scholarship recipients.
3) Scholarship Disbursement and Repayment
Scholarship are generally disbursed twice annually on predetermined dates in August and December. Funds will be deposited directly into the recipient’s designated bank account.
Scholarships are grants, not loans, and are not repaid.
4) Planned Number of Recipients
Approx. 80 in fiscal 2014 (86 students received scholarships in fiscal 2013, 87 students received scholarships in fiscal 2012)
The Foundation’s scholarship has the following characteristics:
- The scholarship is a grant. Recipients do not repay the funds granted via the scholarship.
- The scholarship is free of any conditions related to post-graduation employment. It places no post-graduate restrictions on recipients.
Obligations of Recipients
Scholarship recipients are expected to fulfill the following obligations:
(1) Scholarship recipients are expected to comply with all rules stated in the Scholarship Guide and to inform the Foundation promptly
if any conflicts with eligibility requirements are present or arise.
(2) Recipients are expected to promptly notify the Representative Director if any of the following apply:
i. Leave of absence, reinstatement, transfer or withdrawal
ii. Suspension or other disciplinary action
iii. Change in name, address or other important personal information
(3) Recipients are expected to submit the following documents to the Representative Director in December:
i. Student registration certificates and report on residential status
ii. Aacademic transcripts
(4) Recipients are expected to attend events held by the Foundation.