Scholarships for Development-Related Postgraduate Courses, Germany
Development-Related Postgraduate Courses
- Postgraduate courses for professionals from developing countries at German institutions of Higher education
- Duration: 12-24 months, depending on the particular institution
- Internationally recognised Master’s degree
- Includes German Universities and “Fachhochschulen” (Universities of Applied Science)
- Support of selected programmes with a variety of full or partial scholarships
- Funded by the BMZ (Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development) but admission is also open to self-financed participants or students financed through government or other sources
- Academic year 2016/2017
Dates and Deadlines
The selection process generally takes place at the universities in the period from November to February.
Scholarships are usually awarded for the following winter semester.
Prerequisites and Requirements
- priority target candidates have proven, development-related motivation and can be expected to make full use of their scholarship and education by taking on social responsibility later in their careers, acting as agents of change who stimulate and support development in their personal and professional surroundings (motivation, commitment to development),
- the candidates have the professional and academic qualifications necessary to ensure successful completion of the degree programme in Germany (final scores on previous academic examinations, language skills),
- women and candidates from disadvantaged groups who meet the required academic and professional standards and show proven commitment to development-related issues are especially targeted for programme admission.
- works either for a public authority or a state or private company in a developing country (according to the DAC list of the OECD) and, as such, is engaged in the planning and execution of directives and projects with emphasis on development policies having a bearing on technological, economic or social areas.
- holds a Bachelor’s degree (4 years) in a related subject.
- has completed an academic degree with far above average results and at least two years of related professional experience.
- his/her academic degrees should normally not be more than 6 years old.
- For courses in German: DSH 2 or TestDaF 4; at time of application German skills at completed level A2 are required. In addition, German language courses at level A2 or B1 are highly recommended.
- Exception: Candidates for some German-speaking or bilingual courses need a very good command of German at time of application. For detailed information see the relevant course introduction on the following pages.
- Note: It is not possible to pass the required German language courses (DSH or TestDaF) without any previous basic knowledge in the German language (at least A.2.1 Level), even with the preceding six-month, intensive course in Germany. Passing the language test is a formal prerequisite for graduating from the German university
- For courses in English: IELTS (Band 6) certificate or TOEFL (minimum score: 550 paper based, 213 computer based, 80 internet based)
- DAAD application form (http://www.daad.de/imperia/md/content/en/deutschland/formulare/forschungsstipendium_en.pdf)
- hand-signed CV (please use the europass specimen form at http://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/)
- hand-signed letter of motivation (with reference to current occupation)
- research exposé (if required by university)
- academic letter/s of recommendation from your university; the letter must have a signature and office stamp and must be of recent date (not in a sealed envelope)
- professional letter/s of recommendation from your employer; the letter must have a signature and office stamp and must be of recent date (not in a sealed envelope)
- confirmation of employment from the employer in your home country and if possible, a guarantee of re-employment upon your return home
- Proof of language abilities:
- copies of awarded academic degrees
- copies of academic transcripts
- copy of School Leaving Certificate