Chinese Government Scholarship-WMO Program
1. This program supports undergraduate students for no more than 5 years, master students for no more than 3 years, or doctoral students for no more than 4 years.
2. Duration of the scholarship, which covers both major study and Chinese language/preparatory study, as specified in the Admission Letter, cannot be extended in general.
3. Undergraduate scholarship winners must register for Chinese-taught credit courses. Graduate students can register for either Chinese-taught program or English-taught program if applicable.
Students of Chinese-taught programs without adequate Chinese proficiency must take one-year Chinese language/preparatory study and pass the required test before moving on to major studies.
4. The 2 designated universities for this program are Nanjing University of Information Science and Technology and Hohai University; the majors are limited to Meteorology, Hydrology and Water Resources Monitoring & Management.
This is a partial scholarship which covers
-a tuition waiver;
Please refer to Introduction to CGS-Coverage and Standard for details of each item.
You should apply to WMO Secretariat between January and early April.
To be eligible, applicants must:
-be a citizen of a country other than the People’s Republic of China, and be in good health;
-be a high school graduate under the age of 25 when applying for undergraduate programs;
-be a bachelor’s degree holder under the age of 35 when applying for master’s programs;
-be a master’s degree holder under the age of 40 when applying for doctoral programs.
1.Apply to WMO Secretariat for CGS opportunity.
It is your own responsibility to consult WMO Secretariat for details and requirements of this Program and make sure you are eligible for the scholarship.
2. Apply to your target university for Pre-admission Letter once recommended by WMO Secretariat as an eligible candidate.
3.Complete the online application procedure at CSC Online Application System for International Students, submit online the completed Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship and print a hard copy.
4. Submit all your application documents to WMO Secretariat before the deadline.
You can check 6. Application Documents for a detailed checklist.
5.Only applications of recommended candidates from WMO Secretariat will be considered. No other applications or individual application directly sent to CSC will be considered. Candidates holding Pre-admission Letter will be placed in the host university; those without Pre-admission Letter should accept CSC’s placement of university.
You should consult WMO Secretariat for Instructions of CSC Online Application System for International Students and Agency Number.
1.Application Form for Chinese Government Scholarship（written in Chinese or English）;
Ensure you have both submitted it online and printed the hard copy.
2.Notarized highest diploma (photocopy);
Prospective diploma winners must submit official document issued by your current school to prove your current student status or expected graduation date.
Documents in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
3. Academic transcripts (written in Chinese or English);
Transcripts in languages other than Chinese or English must be attached with notarized Chinese or English translations.
4. Two Recommendation Letters (written in Chinese or English);
Applicants for graduate programs must submit two recommendation letters signed by professor or associate professor.
5.A Study Plan or Research Proposal (written in Chinese or English);
This should be a minimum of 200 words for undergraduate students, and 800 words for graduate students.
6.Valid documents of your legal guardians in China (only required for applicants under the age of 18);
7. Foreigner Physical Examination Form (photocopy)
The physical examinations must cover all the items listed in the Foreigner Physical Examination Form. Incomplete forms or forms without the signature of the attending physician, or the official stamp of the hospital, or a sealed photograph of the applicant are considered as invalid.
Please carefully plan your physical examination schedule as the result is valid for only 6 months.
Pleases keep the original copy of the Form for school registration.
8. Pre-admission Letter from designated Chinese university (if available);
9. Valid HSK Certificate (if available).
All the documents should be bound together on top left corner in the order of 6.1 to 6.9.
You should submit TWO sets of bound documents.
Applications should be sent to CSC by WMO before April 30th.
No application documents will be returned.
1. Application documents of recommended candidates from WMO will be considered by CSC for eligibility and qualification.
Ineligible or incomplete applications will not be considered.
2. Qualified applications will be sent to universities for placement. Candidates who are turned down by universities will not be granted with the scholarship.
CSC reserves the right to make necessary adjustments/changes to candidate’s host university, field of study, supporting categories and duration of scholarship.
Applications enclosed with Pre-admission Letter will be sent to the universities who issued that Letter for placement confirmation.
3. CSC reviews the placement results, approves the List of Scholarship Winners and sends the admission documents to WMO Secretariat before July 31st.
Each scholarship winner will be granted with no more than one scholarship.
4. WMO Secretariat will send the admission documents (Admission Letter and Visa Application Form for Study in China (JW201)) to the scholarship winners.
5. Scholarship winners shall not change their host university, field of study, or duration of study unless they give up the grant.
6. Scholarship will not be reserved if scholarship winner cannot register before the registration deadline.
Mr. Yinka R. Adebayo (WMO Secretariat)
Education and Fellowships Division
Development and Regional Activities Department
World Meteorological Organization (WMO)
Address: 7 bis, avenue de la Paix, Case postale 2300, CH 1211 Geneva 2, Switzerland.
Tel: +41 22 730 8156
Fax: +41 22 730 8181
Ms. Wang Jing (CSC)
Website: http://www.csc.edu.cn/laihua; www.campuschina.org
Address: Division of International Students Affairs, China Scholarship Council
Level 13, Building A3, No.9 Chegongzhuang Avenue, Beijing, P. R. China.