ASF Scholarships, Amsterdam University College, Netherlands
Applications for ASF Scholarships are open to all students (Dutch and international). The AUC Scholarship Fund offers two types of ASF Scholarship: Full scholarships: EU students: EUR 5100 per year, Non-EU students: EUR 15300 per year. Partial scholarships: EU students: EUR 2550 per year, Non-EU students: EUR 7650 per year.
The AUC Scholarship Fund Board, consisting of representatives of the sponsors and AUC, is responsible for the selection and decides whether the applicant gets a full or a partial scholarship, following a recommendation from the ASF Selection Committee.
The ASF Scholarships are paid to the student in 12 monthly instalments. Please note that the scholarship cannot be used as a (partial) tuition fee waiver; students are responsible for paying the tuition fee themselves.
Candidates wishing to apply for an ASF Scholarship must meet the following requirements.
- Candidates must have submitted a complete application for admission to AUC. For more information on applications and admissions, see links in left-hand menu.
- Candidates must have excellent school results and a strong motivation as reflected in their application and recommendation forms. The selection committee will also look at extracurricular accomplishments and activities relevant for AUC, as well as the future leadership profile/skills of the candidates.
- Candidates must demonstrate financial need (provide proof that it is financially impossible for them to study at AUC without a scholarship).
How and when to apply
The deadline for applications for an ASF Scholarship is 1 November 2015 for a spring semester (February) 2016 start. You should send us:
- a completed ASF application form [a new application form will go live in August for spring semester 2016 applicants].
- a motivation letter, explaining clearly why you think you deserve a scholarship, and why you are applying for one
- proof of your financial need:
Dutch candidates can do this by confirming in the application form that they will receive the maximum additional grant (maximale aanvullende beurs) from DUO-IB (studiefinanciering). When they start at AUC, these students will be asked for a copy of their DUO-IB statement that they are indeed receiving the maximum additional grant.
International students should send copies of the most recent tax statements of their parents/legal guardians (or recent salary statements if a tax statement is not available) plus the most recent statements regarding pensions or other benefits. The total combined annual pre-tax income may not exceed EUR 46,000 or the equivalent in local currency.
Where to send your application
A new application form, along with instructions on how and where to submit your application package, will be available in August 2015 on this section of the website.
For general questions regarding AUC scholarships, please contact the AUC Scholarship Fund via ‘contact AUC form’ (link below).
Selection will be done in November 2015, and candidates will be notified of the results of the selection in December 2015. No correspondence with the AUC Scholarship Fund Board about the selection will be accepted.
Conditions for receiving the ASF Scholarship
ASF Scholarships will only be awarded to selected persons who meet the following requirements. Persons who fail to meet the following requirements cannot receive financial support.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee must be fully admitted to Amsterdam University College. The ASF Scholarship cannot be transferred to another academic year or another academic programme.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee must have satisfied all visa and residence permit requirements, if applicable.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee must have proven both merit and financial need.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee may not receive another full coverage scholarship for the same period of study as the ASF Scholarship. AUC must be notified (contact the AUC Scholarship Fund, see link below) if the student has been awarded another full scholarship, and which scholarship the student has decided to accept.
- An ASF Scholarship awardee may not also receive an ASF-DAP Award.
Conditions for maintaining the ASF Scholarship
ASF Scholarship holders must meet the following requirements. ASF Scholarship holders who fail to meet the following requirements will have to refund the financial support.
- ASF Scholarship holders must maintain good academic standing: they are expected to have a GPA of at least 3.0 and preferably to be on the excellence list (GPA ≥3.5). The ASF Scholarship may be terminated if their GPA falls below 3.0, if they enter a period of probation or if they have to end their studies before graduating.
- If the ASF Scholarship holder decides to quit studying at AUC, the ASF Scholarship payments already received by the holder must be reimbursed to the AUC Scholarship Fund in full.
Students who receive an ASF Scholarship will be evaluated after one year of study. The ASF Scholarship will be awarded for another year if the student:
- has successfully passed the first year (a GPA of at least 3.0 and preferably on the excellence list with a GPA ≥ 3.5)
- receives a positive recommendation at the end of the academic year from his/her tutor and the Board of Examiners
- can prove that the financial need base has not changed.
The same procedure will be followed at the end of the second year.
ASF Scholarship holders are expected to participate in activities with AUC sponsors and other AUC contacts, including the AUC alumni network, and to cooperate in the promotion of the ASF. The ASF Scholarship may be terminated if the holder unreasonably refuses to participate in such activities.