1. Which of the following words describe the prevailing attitude of High-Modern Literature?
2. Which Welsh poet wrote “Under Milk Wood?”
3. Who wrote Canterbury Tales?
4. Who wrote “The Hound of the Baskervilles?”
Arthur Conan Doyle
5. Wlliam Shakespeare is not the author of:
6. ___________is a late 20th century play written by a woman?
7. Which of the following writers wrote historical novels?
Sir Walter Scott and Maria Edgeworth
9. Which of the following are Thomas Hardy books?
The Poor Man and the Lady
The Return of Native
11. Who wrote the poems, “On death” and “Women, Wine, and Snuff?”
12. “Of Man’s first disobedience, and the fruit Of that forbidden tree whose mortal taste Brought death into the world, and all our woe, With loss of Eden.”
This is an extract from:
13. William Shakespeare was born in the year:
15. Who wrote ‘The Winter’s Tale?’
16.Which poem ends ‘I shall but love thee better after death’?
How do I love thee
17. Which poet is considered a national hero in Greece?
18. Which kind of poem is Edward Lear associated with?
19. In coleridge’s poem ‘The rime of the Ancient Mariner’where were the three gallants going?
20. Harold Nicholson described which poet as ‘Very yellow and glum. Perfect manners’?
T. S. Elliot
21. What was strange about Emily Dickinson?
She rarely left home
22. Rupert Brooke wrote his poetry during which conflict?
First World War
23. Which Poet Laureatewrote about a church mouse?
24. Which American writer published ‘A brave and startling truth’ in 1996
25. Who wrote about the idyllic ‘Isle of Innisfree’?
W. B. Yeats
26.Sylvia Plath married which English poet?
27. Carl Sandburg ‘Planked whitefish’ contains what kind of imagery?
28. Which influential American poet was born in Long Island in 1819?
29. In 1960 ‘The Colossus’ was the first book of poems published by which poetess?
305. In his poem Kipling said ‘If you can meet with triumph and . . . . . . . . . . ‘?
31. Which of the following is not a literary device used for aesthetic effect in poetry?
32. True or false: Writing predates poetry.
33. What is the earliest surviving European poem?
The Homeric epic
34. Which of the following is not a poetic tradition?
35. What is the study of poetry’s meter and form called?
36.Shakespeare composed much of his plays in what sort of verse?
37. Which poet invented the concept of the variable foot in poetry?
William Carlos Williams
38. Who wrote this famous line: ‘Shall I compare thee to a summer’s day/ Thou art more lovely and more temperate…’
39. From what century does the poetic form the folk ballad date?
40. From which of Shakespeare’s plays is this famous line: ‘Did my heart love til now?/ Forswear it, sight/ For I never saw a true beauty until this night’
Romeo and Juliet
41. What is a poem called whose first letters of each line spell out a word?
42. Auld Lang Syne is a famous poem by whom?
43. How has Stephen Dunn been described in ‘the Oxford Companion to 20th Century Poetry?
A poet of middleness
44. ‘The Cambridge school’ refers to a group who emerged when?
45. Margaret Atwood was born in which Canadian city?
46.How did W. H. Auden describe poetry?
A game of knowledge
47. Sassoon and Brooke wrote whatt kind of poetry?
48. Where did T. S. Eliot spend most of his childhood?
49. Ted Hughes was married to which American poetess?
50. How old was Rupert Brooke at the time of his death?